Saturday 21 July 2012

HOO CLEARS UP

HOO CLEARS UP!


This morning I put on my old clothes and headed down with Marc and Daniel to Hoo village to help with the Hoo Community Clear Up. I have been meaning to go down for the last few months but this has been the first Saturday I have been free enough to help.
The morning started well...Daniel decided, whilst we waited for the rest of the team, that the library was a much better option for Saturday morning entertainment so off he and Marc went leaving me with a Peppa Pig bag and a pick up stick!

The morning was actually a really good and enjoyable occassion, as you can see above there was a fair bit of rubbish around the centre of Hoo but not as much as I anticipated. My best find has to be a pair of bright pink boxer shorts!

The highlight however, the boxer shorts aside, was the conversations, it was really good to be able to chat to people who I haven't met before to find out more about people's lives and to actually help the community.

It was fascinating to hear and engage with the rest of the community as to why we were picking up other people's litter and whether we should be doing it at all. But the main thing I heard being said was that it was all about building up community and working together to make Hoo a better place for everyone.....Couldn't have said it better myself!

The morning finished with our wonderful local councillor providing refreshments for us at the Chequers Pub ( only tea passed my lips!) and off course we were gate crashed by Daniel and Marc who had by then finished at the library.

Today has helped me to remember just how much I enjoy being part of a community and meeting new people but also just being able to help, no matter how simple a task it may seem!.

Thanks to the wonderful Tony Watson and Ronnie Sands for their organisation and any Hoo-ites out there,.,..come get involved next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment