Friday 1 November 2013

Sweets and Saints

Last night at 4.45pm the door bell rang, as we opened it we were greeted by a multitude of scary looking children and slightly embarrassed parents...all of whom we knew;
"Trick or Treat" they politely said with big smiles on their  painted faces...
Last year some of you may recall our dilemma of what to do but this year was a no brainer..we had a basket full of treats and also our glow in the dark pencils and rulers with Jesus is the Light of the World written on. Some may feel this is tacky, some may disagree with us giving anything at all but it is an opportunity for us to share with our neighbours and also to get the message of light into the homes..and seeing the delight on the 40 children who received the pencils and rulers was priceless. Unfortunately by 6.15 we had run out of the pencils and rulers so the following 15/20 children just received sweets and a blessing of safety.



Today is Friday, today unusually for me is a working day..why? Because today is All Saints day (All Hallows) our parish church'
s patronal festival of which we are to celebrate a service of Holy Communion. It was a delight to meet together and celebrate those wonderful, faithful folk who have gone before us..
 All Saints Day, a day to remember those ordinary people of extraordinary commitment. Saints are ordinary Christians whose lives reflect the life of Jesus. Recently the Pope has declared a few more people Saints..including Pope John Paul the 2nd..however those such as Mother Theresa sacrificing everything in life still await saint hood but I believe her life mirrors that of any Saint. An ordinary person doing extra ordinary things for the Gospel. 
So many people in my life have been Saints in my eyes...people who lived faithfully to help me in my life, to help me grow, to help me develop and to give me the confidence I need. Some are still with us and some sadly have departed this world...It may sound morbid but I feel it is so important to remember those who shape our lives and make us the people we are today.
So to you who have been a part of my life whether it is a little way or a major way...you know who you are...THANK YOU!


No comments:

Post a Comment