Monday 23 September 2013

Lazy Sundays...NOT!

Yesterday was the first Sunday I had been back into traditional church for several weeks after the amazing boot fair experience... I was very anxious about preaching as it almost felt like going back in for the first time.. Saturday night saw me frantically writing and re writing my sermon for the 2nd service and the night saw me dreaming about turning up to find the wrong bible passage to what I had been given to prepare!!!

But Sunday morning came and went and it was nice to be back in the fold sharing God's word, baptizing 2 beautiful babies ( who barely cried!)  and celebrating our vicar's 60th birthday!
On the way back from church only a few moments from our house we were abruptly stopped by 3 fire engines trying to put out a house fire. Daniel of course was rather excited to be greeted by such a sight where as I was very anxious about what had happened. Having found a route around the blaze and home the Parable of The Good Samaritan ( Luke 10:25-37) was going through my mind..should I stay out of the way and let the professionals do their thing...or should I go and see if anyone needs any help? After a few moments I decided I couldn't settle and so took a walk ( or rather hobble..on crutches!) up to the scene...crowds had now gathered, local neighbours were out re directing traffic and children were zooming up and down on bikes keeping everyone in the loop. and so I managed to chat to a few people to discover by the grace of God no one was injured but the fire was still smouldering away. I spoke to a few neighbours who were anxious but ok and managed to visit a lady with cerebal palsy who lived next door and obviously as little concerned about what was going on outside. It was lovely to chat with this lady..(embarrassingly she already knew who I was and apparently reads my articles in village Voices and Peninsula times) I hopefully reassured her that everything was ok and her her carer was coming later on in the day to see her too.

It is strange what this job throws at you..sometimes planned sometimes without even realising it. It made me realise how much of a privilege it is to live in such a community as Hoo, to be able to be an instant resource if needed and to see a community come together .

Our day continued with a lovely afternoon tea from 3 of our home group and Daniel's friend form church , a real chance to unwind, chill out and relax yet to catch up and get to know each other more...Daniel was lost for 3 hours playing happily and it was a delight to see.

So a day of contrasts of excitement in happiness and excitement in terror...one thing is for sure..life with us is never dull!

No comments:

Post a Comment