Wednesday 29 August 2012

Mud, Mud, Glorious Mud?

This last bank holiday weekend saw myself and a bunch of family and wonderful friends pack our bags, tents and wellies and head to Cheltenham Race course for The Greenbelt Christian Arts Festival.

We have been going to Greenbelt on and off for many years ( my first visit was when I was 3!) and I love the eclectic mix of people, passions and experiences that can be found in one place. The music, the art, the creativity, seeing old friends and the Jesus Arms ( beer tent) are great ingredients for a brilliant weekend...normally..

This year was quite a challenge..In true British Bank Holiday weekend style the weather was a great challenge! In fact it rained and rained and rained. It rained so much at times it looked like we were sat in between a waterfall with thunder and lightning all around us. For those of you that know me will know that I am terrified of thunder but having a 2 year old I had to try and be brave!Once the rain eased however the problems did not ease..we were left with a massive mound of mud that in places came well over my ankles.

It was hard going, battling the rain, mud and camping but it was also a real witness to camaraderie, team spirit and a chance to "jump up and down in muddy puddles!"...Daniel thought it was the best thing ever and had a whale of a time.

I can not lie and say we had a wonderful time despite the weather...some of our group really did struggle and when your last pair of socks are soaked because your wellies have broken it is very difficult to put on a smile!

However, it really was a lesson in how we deal with adversity...do we throw in the towel and take shelter in the nearest travel lodge at the first sign of rain or do we face the eye of the storm and stay strong through thick and thin?

I like to think that I am a tough cookie and can cope with most things but this nearly had me beat....but thanks to a happy toddler, a great talk from Frank Skinner ( yep the Frank Skinner is a Christian!) and a good old session of Beer and Hymns I got through the weekend with a smile on my face ready to book again next year :)....anyone want to join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment