Wednesday 22 August 2012

A matter of life and death

This week has been a week of funerals, planning, preparing and delivering, church services, cremations and burials. Any kind of funeral and every kind of funeral. The last few weeks have seen a lot of the deanery clergy on holiday so all local funerals have come my way.

It has been an emotionally challenging week, any funeral no matter what the circumstance or situation is a sad and difficult time to all involved, but so many at once certainly take their toil especially when one is someone younger than yourself.

Many people say to me that funerals must be the one thing that I hate about my job yet it is one of the things I really enjoy doing . That may sound sadistic but I find at the time of someones death family and friends are much more open to talk to you about life, the world and the universe, they want you to be there, they want comfort and they want hope but most of all they want you to listen and to guide them through one of the most difficult experiences of their lives.

This week saw our church bursting at the seams with young people trying to find a way to grieve, this is the second experience in a year I have had of such a mega funeral for one so young and both times I have been amazed by the response of friends desperate to show their love and their grief to their friend who has died and to the family. This week the tribute was made via an enormous array of flowers, bouquets and wreaths of all shapes, sizes and descriptions, it was also shown by a uniform of flat caps and an array of colourful socks....
These experiences make me feel so privileged that I have a faith, a hope that this world is not the end, it makes me feel privileged that I have a family who cares so much for me, and it makes me feel privileged that I for a few hours can be a part of someones difficult journey.But it also makes me think about how those with no faith, no hope cope, what do they cling to and what do they look for to survive each day....because of this I do my job to share hope in Jesus and just pray a tiny seed may be sown at these difficult times. A light can be shone for them in their times of darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment