Wednesday 9 December 2020

COVID-19

 This has been so difficult for me to write and to start I just want to say I really hope this doesn’t upset or cause offence to anyone .. this is such a sensitive topic and I’ve been debating sharing it or not but maybe , just maybe it will help someone out there or at the very least help me sleep by getting this down !

It’s been over 4 weeks now since the boys and I tested positive for COVID-19 and today is the first day I’ve actually felt ok .. apart from tonight (more of that shortly !)

The boys and I have been incredibly careful since March ... we are all asthmatic and I’ve had pneumonia twice . The disease /pandemic scared us ... we’ve lost an uncle , friends and the children have lost a TA at their school so we knew we had to take care . We followed the rules , did online shopping and the boys sanitized so much one of them had bleeding hands from the eczema!

Yet we still caught Covid . 


We are the lucky ones ... we are here to tell our story and this is just a snap shot for now . 

The littlest had barely any symptoms it effected his eating (Haribo tangtastic helped the weird taste thing ) and bladder but that’s it . The older one started with a cold then the cough and loss of smell came , that really stressed him out , he’s autistic and one of his self named Spidey senses is his sense of smell . 

I suffered , I had most of the common symptoms raging temperatures, hacking cough, my sense of taste was totally messed up as was my smell. I barely ate but drink a lot of water and pineapple juice was recommended and did hit the spot (anyone who knows me knows how rare that is !) I was blessed to speak to my GP quite  early on who could here down the phone how bad my chest was ... he prescribed a cocktail of drugs and antibiotics to help with the infection and pain and though they caused other problems they really did work .

For two weeks I tried to get the boys to do their school work , they wanted to do it but energy and focus  was low (rare again for my two ) we watched a lot of Netflix and snuggled up together . We put on a brave face as didn’t want to worry our family and didn’t want to put anyone at risk by coming to help . It drew us even closer and Daniel especially stepped up to the mark especially helping me with Elijah .. we’ve all become experts in Super mario oddessy and I finally got round to watching The Crown !

4 1/2 weeks on and we can still feel the effects .. I get tired really easily so have to pace my working week ... but then I can’t sleep at night ! We are all constantly up and down to the toilet and after some searching online urine issues seem to be a common side effect of Covid .. and we still get breathless quicker than we would usually .  

This isn’t a blog for sympathy I know how damn lucky we are and for that reason it’s so hard to talk about it ! So many others would love our side effects yet they paid the ultimate price .

This virus is real .. it’s deadly and where it isn’t it has lasting effects for a while after the contagious side leaves ! 

My condolences go out to all who have lost loved ones to this ... I had a weird night last week which I can only describe as survivors guilt ... why did I survive .. why did my uncle not ? I don’t know the answer but I’m sure as heck going to make my life count even more because of it .

Over the next few weeks please please please be careful ... we survived Covid but it has been a hell of a journey and not one is want anyone else to have to go through .


And a special thank you to the NHS track and trace who called to check on us to make sure we had everything we needed who have a listening ear and we’re just kind! 

To those who kept us going via doorstep deliveries , calls and texts it means the world thank you x

Keep safe .. keep washing , keep face masking and keep your distance (in the nice possible way !!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment