Tuesday 27 September 2016

SHINE

2 years ago today I undertook the most challenging thing I've ever had to face..the Shine marathon for Cancer Research. Whatever possessed me to agree to it was simple, I'd seen so many friends , family and parishioners suffer at the hands of cancer and I wanted to try and honour them in some small way. 2 years later I faced Shine again but this time the half marathon to ease me back in after having Elijah. Again, it was a truly wonderful experience, this time without the pain and agony but still with the heart ache of more friends and family members suffering at the end of this cruel disease .

What was so amazing on Saturday night was seeing the 17,000 people all there with their own stories and reasons why they were walking, whether it was for themselves or for a loved one each walking with their own memories and thoughts.
The world can so often divide us but sometimes tragedy can unite us, bring us together in the companionship of mutual experiences. I've only experienced this twice....at Shine and during the 7th July bombings...a time when people were so scared in London they actually turned to each other in conversation for comfort and support. It makes me sad that it takes bad things to bring us humans together...maybe we should try and make a conscious effort to smile at someone tomorrow, say hi to someone or even invite someone for a coffee...you never know just how much that act of kindness may mean to them.

As for me...I'm stupidly thinking of doing the full marathon again next year but also on my list is to climb a mountain....any takers???

No comments:

Post a Comment